How do we move from a “death economy”, characterised by short-termism and environmental degradation, to a “life economy”? We tackle this question on this week’s episode, and after listening to it, you will understand how it fits into the arc of my guest. That arc goes from being in the Peach Corps, to becoming an “Economic Hit Man”, through to expertise in shamanism and indigenous wisdom.
I am delighted to bring a wonderful conversation with New York Times best-selling author, former economist and “economic hit man” John Perkins. John’s 2004 book Confessions of An Economic Hit Man spent 73 weeks on the New York Times best-seller list (it has recently been updated to create New Confessions of an Economic Hit Man).
The term “economic hit man” is what John uses to describe his work in the 1970s and early 1980s with developing countries. It’s a system based on creating indebtedness and dependency (and as you will hear, with potentially devastating consequences with those who don’t participate). It is firmly rooted in the “death economy” and as you will also hear, it is still prominent today, only in different forms.
As you will also hear, John is out to change things. We have a fascinating conversation that covers:
- John’s time in the Peace Corps and how that shaped his world view;
- Being an economic hit man, including working with two former clients and friends who refused this “assistance” on offer;
- Big business and international development;
- The death economy and the life economy;
- Indigenous wisdom and shamanism;
- How love and compassion is the future of business – and how we can help make that happen
- Loads more!
John’s website: http://johnperkins.org/
John on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/johnperkinsauthor/
John on Twitter: https://twitter.com/economic_hitman
John on Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/johnperkinsauthor
The Love Summit: https://www.dreamchange.org/the-love-summit/
Confessions of an Economic Hit Man: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2159.Confessions_of_an_Economic_Hit_Man
New Confessions of an Economic Hit Man: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26593431-the-new-confessions-of-an-economic-hit-man
All of John’s books: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1452.John_Perkins?from_search=true
Omar Torrijos: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Torrijos
Jaime Roldós Aguilera: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaime_Rold%C3%B3s_Aguilera
Did you like what you heard? Subscribe to the All Things Risk podcast, leave a rating or review, and share it on social media:
Subscribe and/or leave a rating and review on:
- iTunes: http://apple.co/1PjLmKh
- Subscribe on Stitcher: http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/all-things-risk/the-all-things-risk-podcast
- Subscribe on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/ben-cattaneo