What happens to our brains when we take risks? How do successful risk-takers process information? Do they look at risk any differently? What does the science of risk-taking tell us?
Meet Kayt Sukel, author of The Art of Risk: The New Science of Courage, Caution and Chance. Kayt is a science writer and traveller who “has no problem tacking interesting and often taboo subjects spanning love, sex, neuroscience and politics.” Her work has appeared in Atlantic Monthly, New Scientist, The Washington Post and National Geographic Traveller.
In the Art of Risk, Kayt studies “risk-takers” of various vocations – from base jumpers to fire fighters. We talk about this, and the conversation brings up loads of great stuff around diligent practice and hard work, decision-making, and how we can all get better at taking risks.
But – there’s more to Kayt than this. According to Forbes magazine, Kayt “knows more about sex than you or I do.” Her first book is titled Dirty Minds: How Our Brains Influence Love, Sex, and Relationships (retitled This is Your Brain on Sex: The Science Behind the Search for Love). So, as you would do with anyone you speak to the first time, we talk about sex – that’s the beauty of podcasting!
Along the way we touch on a range of fascinating topics:
- Pop science;
- How the brain works;
- The nervous system;
- Gut feelings;
- And much more!
- Kayt’s website
- Kayt on Twitter
- Kayt on Facebook
- Kayt on Linkedin
- Dirty Minds: How Our Brains Influence Love, Sex, and Relationships
- The Art of Risk: The New Science of Courage, Caution and Chance
- Josh Fraser’s talk “Snakes versus Staircases” – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtyydlDsS5I
Did you like what you heard? Subscribe to the All Things Risk podcast, leave a rating or review, and share it on social media:
- Subscribe and/or leave a rating and review on:
- iTunes: http://apple.co/1PjLmKh
- Subscribe on Stitcher: http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/all-things-risk/the-all-things-risk-podcast
- Subscribe on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/ben-cattaneo
- Follow the podcast on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RiskThings
- Drop us a note: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit: allthingsrisk.co.uk– and find all episodes and ways to subscribe